Search

Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Review: Hotel Chocolat Ti Jardin Body Butter (+ Surprises and... Shakespeare?)


Who knew Hotel Chocolat did beauty products? Certainly not me! Turns out, this amazing chocolate brand has a whole range of body and skin products, from lip balms to body butters to candles and scrubs. This little beauty was a lovely surprise for me, therefore, and I wad very excited to give it a try.

I was lucky enough to win a giveaway hosted by AimeeBelle of some fantastic goodies, including Nanshy makeup brushes, Crabtree & Evelyn hand cream, Bee Good Lip Balm, Halo Makeup remover pads, and a whole load of other things, all cruelty-free and all smelling amazing. It was a great surprise to receive in the post today and I'm looking forward to trying them all out, but for now I just had to talk about this.

10% off? Don't mind if I do!
This body butter comes in a squeezy tube, which I always find a bit weird for 'butter' type creams - you have to squeeze so hard, especially if it's a bit cold! But still, it comes out lovely and creamy and smooth A sneaky bit of googling tells me that 'Ti Jardin' is the name of an area within Hotel Chocolat's main cocoa plantation just outside of Saint Lucia in France.


This body butter doesn't smell at all like chocolate, as I was expecting! Instead it hits you with a beautiful citrus-type smell, which is deep and long-lasting. I can really smell the neroli oil in it, which I adore and don't find it too often in my products strangely enough. I need more neroli in my life. I'm really impressed with this cream, and I think it's definitely going to find it's way into my desk drawer at work for hand,arm and face moisturizing during the day.

Now I know you're wondering what on earth Shakespeare has to do with this post. Well, the answer is not that much, but I'm home sick from work today. Boosting up with vitamins with an innocent smoothie (yes the kids ones - don't judge me), I noticed a rather funny little thing on the back of the pack that made me smile:


It reminded me so much of all the time I spend trying to convince my tutoring students that Shakespeare wasn't as inaccessible as they all first imagined. All teenagers are naturally dubious of Shakespeare I think, dismissing his works as 'hard' or 'boring', and I get it, y'know? It's not for everyone and I can appreciate that, but what you might not know fully is linguistically, how much of an impact Shakespeare had on the English speaking world. It's incredible how many of the words and phrases we use today can be traced back to their first uses in Shakespeare's own plays (whether they were all actually written by him or not is a whole other issue mind!) and that is so rare, to be able to place an exact date and time period on a word, that it still sort of blows my little nerdy mind. Good old Will took theatre to the English-speaking lower classes and made it beautiful, whilst still stuffing it chock full of filthy jokes and some of the most complicated stories you've ever seen hand-in-hand with some of the silliest. So to celebrate this, I've included some links to some cool Shakespearean stuff on the internet right now:
Hope you're all having a great day! If you enjoyed this post or want to comment on any of the things I've talked about in it, drop me a comment below, or tweet me! See you all soon. 
Shut the door, there comes no swaggerers here, yo

- Natalie XOXO