Search

Wednesday, 31 December 2014

2014: Year in Review

In true fashion, I've left the writing and posting of this post until the absolute last possible moment. 2014 has been a year very full of ....stuff. Good stuff, bad stuff, family stuff, job stuff, life stuff. It seems to have all been saved up for this year, and then all thrown down in a huge deluge all in one go. It's been mostly fun, I think, and it's largely left me with a sense of wanting to continue. Build on the things I've done this year and make them better, grow them further and enjoy becoming more of the person I want to be.

A collection of the most used words on the internet in 2014 - beautiful, IMO. I especially love 'hashtag' and 'photobomb'

Favourite Beauty Products

I'm going to do a list, because I could literally talk about all of these products forever, and you've almost definitely heard me wax lyrical about almost all of them in the past, so I think it's best to limit myself a little:

  • Max Factor 3-in-1 Facefinity Foundation - It's less than £15, it smooths out my skin beautifully, and they have a colour in my skin tone. Honestly, if they stop making this I think I'll just cry. I just love it. 
  • Soap and Glory Thick and Fast Mascara - I love that this is slightly over the top and gives an exaggerated look without clumping or leaving too much of a residue on lashes. It's a great everyday and special occasion one for me, and it's been on my eyes more than any other mascara this year for sure. 
  • Elf Studio Eyebrow Kit - This is SO CHEAP and SO GOOD and I still find it difficult to believe that both of these things are true at once. A definite handbag staple. 
  • Macademia Hair Flawless Shampoo and Conditioner - This is a late entry since I only tried it in December of this year, but it is really awesome. It's a bit strange to use as it doesn't lather or foam, but it leaves hair so clean and silky smooth after washing. 
  • Sleek i-Divine Garden of Eden Eyes Palette - Another late entry, I received this limited edition palette as a Christmas gift from my good friend Catie, and it is such good quality, and full of beautiful shades - I'd really recommend it. A full review of this is coming in the new year, so keep an eye out!
  • Max Factor Lipfinity - This is by no means a new product, but it's become clear to me this year how much I use it. It just stays put, no matter what, and the 'my lips but better shade' I've discovered in the shade 'Mellow Rose' is just perfect. 

Favourite Music

I've been on a complete classic rock kick this year, in all honesty. My top five albums on spotify are a disaster of Foreigner, Warrant and Bon Jovi - I am an embarrassment in terms of modern music. Fall Out Boy's album 'Centuries' released in September deserves a mention though, as does Slow Club's 'Complete Surrender'.

I've also rediscovered my love of loud, exciting and dancey music somewhat, with Avicii, Ke$ha, Marina and The Diamonds, Beyonce and Mindless Self Indulgence popping up a lot throughout my year, especially when I just want to relax and dance and be happy. I found that my enjoyment of more reflective and slightly different artists crept up more than it has in the past. Amanda Palmer, in particular, Phillip Phillips, Fun., Imagine Dragons and Bastille all feature heavily in my playlists these days, and I've really enjoyed widening my taste a bit. Historically I've always been a bit wary of what I perceive to be 'indie' music, and i'm slowly realising that it's daft to just dismiss a whole genre based on preconceived notions.

Favourite Films

Seriously up there for me was Guardians of the Galaxy - I absolutely ADORED more or less everything about it. Also The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, which was a complete end of an era and made me cry a lot. Other faves this year have included: Maleficent, 22 Jump Street, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I'm really looking forward to seeing a lot of films due out in 2015 - it's going to be a great year for cinema I think!

Favourite Moments

2014 for me has been a year of family, friends, achievement, stress and reflection. That said, some of my best moments of the past year have included....


















Celebrating my nana's 60th Birthday back in May, with my entire family at a hotel on the north east coast.


Meeting the international students I taught for three months - I miss you both Mariko and Miyaka!
Bit of a bittersweet one - saying goodbye to my best friend Jenny (left) on a night out before she left for a year abroad in Australia. I miss her loads but still talk to her, and she's back soon in 2015! Yay!






University end of year ball - we all got thoroughly scrubbed up and dressed up and looked amazing ;)



Spending another - and my last! - gorgeous spring/summer by the beach in Whitby and Scarborough. 

End of an era - graduating from University amongst my friends back in July.
Starting out Autumn in a new city, with a new job and a new house.
Adopting our gorgeous kitten Arya! I can't really imagine life without her now, pain as she is. 

Here's hoping you all had a brilliant Christmas and have a wonderful New Year. Broke Student Fashion will be back with a bang next year, so I'll see you all in 2015!! xxx