Search

Monday, 27 October 2014

That Festive Feeling?

It may not even be Halloween time yet, but already my city has started bringing out the town centre Christmas lights, departments stores are breaking out the seasonal gift catalogues, and restaurants are relentlessly emailing about booking Christmas parties and work dinners. It's true - it's not even winter yet, but it's already beginning to look a lot like Christmas around these parts.

What's this? What's this? [Photo Credit]
I used to be up there with the best of them, complaining about how Christmas shouldn't start until December 1st, and how the magic is ruined by starting so early, and how consumerism was ruining everything, but for some reason, I'm struggling to care this year. Maybe it's the joy of monthly payslips and a large family forcing me to spread out the cost of my present buying over a good few months, or maybe it's the excitement of spending Christmas with just my partner and the kitten in our own house for the first time, or maybe it's just that my Christmas obsessed boyfriend has finally gotten to me. Don't tell him that though, he'll never shut up about it.

I'm enjoying the orange glow, mild weather and dry spells of Autumn, but I bought my very first Christmas present of the yesterday. I'm baking with pumpkin and cinnamon at the weekends, but also eyeing up the tree decorations in Clas Olson and wondering how quickly the cat would break them (answer: extremely, and with much joy on her little face). I have no shame in eyeing up the 3-for-2 deals in Boots whenever I walk past, and I've had a secret gift list Pintrest board in the works for weeks now. I think i've officially succumbed, and it is glorious.

It probably won't still feel like Christmas for me properly until the decorations are up and everybody else is getting in the mood too, but for now I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride over the next couple of months. After all - there's only 8 more Mondays til Christmas ;) So I for one am going to go some, drink my peppermint hot chocolate and watch The Nightmare Before Christmas without feeling guilty.

What do you think of shops and towns getting into the Christmas spirit early? Embrace it or hate it? When are you starting your Christmas shopping? Let me know below!

- Natalie XOX