Search

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Review: Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in 0.5

Although I am the first in line to shout about budget and cheap makeup, one item I don't think I can ever skimp on is my foundation. For somebody who had never even worn the stuff until the age of 19, I rely on a good base to the rest of my makeup on a daily basis, to smooth out any imperfections and in my experience, I've only ever been happy with at least mid-range brands. It would be really nice to find a HG foundation for less than a tenner, but something tells me that I'm just not going to find that.

Wearing UD Naked Skin Foundation and trying to colour coordinate my earrings to my eyes. Not sure it's working very well, but hell, I try.

I'm always curious to try out some of the higher ends of the foundation market. I have tried NARS Sheer Coverage in the past and was disappointed with the heavy feeling it left, and was left disenchanted by Mac Studio Tech when it dried out my skin and flaked off in a very unattractive manner. However I did very much love what I tried of Chanel's Les Beiges range, and am keen to try out more from the top end of the scale.

So, I figured I would give Urban Decay's Naked Skin Foundation a try. I have talked in the past about how hard I find it to pick the right foundation for my skin tone, so the girl at the Urban Decay counter very kindly gave me a sample to take home to make sure it matched well before investing in anything. Naked Skin retails in Debenhams for £27 per bottle, which is a really nice glass pump bottle and matches the rest of the Naked range nicely.

Trying to look classy for my job interview earlier this week. Dress is from New Look, bangle from charity shop

Personally, I don't think it's for me. The consistency was very runny, possibly the most liquid I've ever come across, and it was difficult to work with. It did feel lightweight and gave good buildable medium/full coverage when applied with a stipple brush, but took rather a long time to set and settle. This is not a grab and go kind of makeup, it requires some time and patience to apply, and that doesn't really fit in with my lifestyle. I found the finish nice and smooth, but a little too matte for my liking, which I think looked a bit flat until perked up with a bit of highlighter. Admittedly it suited my look for my job interview, but for everyday use I don't think it's really my style.

Overall the Naked Skin Foundation is a perfectly good foundation that just doesn't suit my lifestyle or personal style preferences, but I would recommend it if you're looking for something that fits the above description.

- Natalie XOX