Search

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Late Summer Office Fashion

Despite the ever worsening weather and the cooling winds that have been circling the north of England over the past couple of weeks, I am refusing to admit that it is no longer summer. It is still August, and therefore it is only late summer until at least mid September in my eyes. Regardless though, I have had to admit lately that stepping outdoors requires a good degree of forward planning, a bag large enough for an umbrella and preferably some amount of psychic power in order to see just how the rest of the day's weather is going to turn out. Failing that though, I've put together some inspiration boards to help with putting together outfits for work in this strange stuck-in-the-middle-of-seasons time of year. Hope you enjoy! 

1. If you work in a more conservative or formal environment, I would say now is absolutely the prime time to embrace the long-sleeved blouse and/or sweater vest. It's dorky masculine chic with enough style and variety to inject your own personality into it whilst still being prepared for the inevitable lunch house downpour later on. Alternatively, a top such as this gorgeous white Stella McCartney V neck shows that a thick, substantial fabric need not look bulky or awkward with the right tailoring and colour choice.


2. Maybe your workplace is a little less straight-laced, so if you feel that you can go to work with a little extra colour and wider choice of styles, now is the time to claw back the remnants of summer with bright colours and fun prints. Sleeveless blouses look great under blazers or cardigans for chillier days, and a chiffon long-length shirt is comfortable and smart. I adore the ice-cream print blouse - it's quirky and fun, and will remind everyone who sees it of their long afternoons by the grey but charming English seaside. 


3. Trousers really are a very sensible choice when you're not sure if it's going to rain or shine, and I'm just a sucker for a printed cigarette pant such as the examples above from Topshop. The close tailored fit and cropped style is super stylish and up-to-date, and the eye-catching prints allow you to create a truly individual look with a bit of clout to it. I'm also really into high-waisted pants lately, they're so smart and figure flattering, and in neutral colours such as the ones above they really can be dressed up for down with a huge range of tops and shoes. 


4. I love wearing dresses to work with thick woolen tights and maybe a light jacket on top, and I think the two shirt dresses above are a great example of how a really simple garment needn't be boring. Their monochrome palettes keep things simple so the graphic prints don't overwhelm everything else, and the nipped in waists show off the remainder of those summer workout routines we've all been sticking too religiously, right? Right? Nah, me neither. I also think shift dresses are so easy to dress up or down, with a suit jacket and heels, or a cardi and flats depending on the look you're going for. I've also included in this set what I think are my two footwear staples of the moment - a sturdy, sensible pair of mary-jane type heels, and a strong pair of lace-up ankle boots. Between them I feel covered for pretty much all scenarios on my morning commute, and don't feel quite so sad about putting my summer ballet pumps back in the cupboard. 


How do you feel about adapting your wardrobe for the ever-changing late summer weather? Maybe you're lucky enough to live somewhere where it's still nice and warm? What's your favourite item from the collections above? Let me know below! 

As always, these collections can be viewed, liked and shopped on my polyvore, so check that out if you're interested. 

Natalie XOX