Search

Sunday, 29 June 2014

Homeware & Interior Design

(photo credit)

I have a confession to make. As our house move at the end of July draws ever closer, and we are increasingly packing away boxes and bags of things in the flat, I'm finding myself drawn to strange urges. Instead of wanting to sew pretty dresses and buy summery shoes, I am drawing up plans for patchwork blankets and trying to stop myself from bulk buying fluffy sofa cushions and Ikea lamps. You're more likely to find me salivating over Apartment Therapy than browsing Facebook on my lunch breaks, and my pintrest has been overtaken with carefully crafted colour schemes and ridiculously expensive rugs for 'inspiration' purposes. I'll admit it - I am becoming a little bit obsessed with moving into and decorating my new house.

Where are all the clothes on the floor? And how do you get into that bed? It's a wonder of modern engineering. 

So why and how, you might ask, have I been duped into this frenzy of themed rooms and hand-carved tables that cost more than most cars? Well, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that this is our first proper, real house that isn't a student house or university-owned housing. My boyfriend and I have lived together for two years now, both with other people and on our own, but we've never really been able to settle down into somewhere and make it feel like home. This new house is different, we're not planning to move after less than a year and we have pretty much entire freedom to decorate and change things as much as we want. I want it to feel like a home, cosy and welcoming, and mostly for it to feel like ours.

It's all so stylish! And it all matches! And it all costs more than my monthly salary!

I think I've also gotten a little caught up in the idea of having to have a 'grown-up' house, now that we're no longer undergrads and are going to be in work or at least in a graduate degree. But the more I think about that, the more exhausting and boring it sounds. I mean, no offence to those who love nothing better than cream and beige with matching oak furniture, but it's just not me. I like hand-made cushions with wonky seams, charity shop furniture that I've repainted myself, blue curtains against brown walls, Lord of the Rings posters on the walls and framed cross-stitched pictures inspired by 'Firefly'. It's mismatched, a bit messy and mostly made up of things that make my mam tut and sigh at me whenever she comes to visit. But it's mine, and it makes me smile, and I love it.


It might sound cheesy but the sentiment is something I'm going to keep in mind while we navigate the next month and all it's associated stresses. The most important thing in any house is the love and happiness and care between the people who live inside it, and as long as that is there and thriving, everything else can fall into place around it. Our house is going to be warm and dry and full of love - I'm sure that'll more than make up for the lack of hand-tufted rugs and luxury steam showers. 

What was your first 'proper' house like, or are you still looking forward to the day when you'll be able to set up home in a place of your own? Is there anything you really can't do without that makes your house feel like home? Let me know below!

- Natalie XOX