Search

Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Rimmel Apocalips, Moisture Renew and Lasting Finish Lipsticks



I have a small confession: until midway through last year, I had never ever owned a lipstick. I didn't really know what to do with them, and I was too nervous to just go out and buy one in case it looked terrible on me. Then I received the lovely (and ridiculously good value for money!) Salvador Dali Rubylips as a gift last summer, and later decided it was about time I became acquainted with some proper lip colours. I approached a few knowledgeable friends for some advice and then a few weeks ago, my wonderful friend Catie was kind enough to send me some of her favourite picks from the Rimmel range of lip products, which I'm going to have a little chat about here. 


The products features in this post are: Rimmel Apocalips Lip Lacquer in 101 Celestial, Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in 220 Heather Shimmer, and Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in 058 Drop of Sherry. They are all fairly different to each other, but all share a really high quality and standard of product which is to be expected from such a well known brand as Rimmel London. Read More: 


Top to bottom clockwise: Apocalips, Lasting Finish, Moisture Renew

Apocalips is a glossy lip lacquer with the texture of a heavy gloss, however it is highly pigmented and applies with a really creamy, opaque look. It dries with a satin finish and Celestial has a really great bright pink colour, which is a little too dressy for me for everyday wear, but definitely great for nights out and I can see myself using it an awful lot in the future. Lasting Finish Lipstick is part of the larger Rimmel Lasting Finish range, and again surprised me with how pigmented it was. It only takes one application to give a really good colour, which does last really well and Drop of Sherry is just a lovely, versatile colour all around. Finally, Moisture Renew lives up to its name and is the nicest feeling of the three reviewed here, feeling more like a lip balm when going on than anything else. I also found that Heather Shimmer was a really great daytime colour, and was just dark enough to be a bit different without making me feel self conscious and too dressed up. Despite the name, there isn't any real noticeable shimmer in it, and I was very happy with how it looked on my lips. 

L-R: Moisture Renew, Lasting Finish, Apocalips

Of the three, Moisture Renew was my personal favourite and i'll definitely be checking out a few of the other shades in the range next time I'm looking for a new lipstick, although Lasting Finish wins hands down for sheer staying power. The only negative I would point out is that the Apocalips has a tendency to transfer very easily to cheeks, glasses, food - basically anything my lips went near, so be warned, that strong pigmentation comes with a downside. If you're willing to be careful with it though, the bold colour is well worth the hassle. I wouldn't wear it to uni for a chill day in the library, but i'm looking forward to whipping it out next student night for sure. All three are great in their own ways though, and i'm glad I got the chance to test them out for myself. 

So do you have any favourite lipsticks? Do you wear strong lip colours at all during the day, or do you save that for nights out on the town? Do you think Rimmel lip colours are worth it, or have you found better for less? Let me know below! 

- Natalie XOX