Search

Sunday, 23 February 2014

Handmade Outfit: Anchors Away!


God it is painfully obvious that i'm not used to posing for outfit photos isn't it! I just finished this off tonight and I was in such a hurry to share, so apologies for my rubbish hair and makeup skills right now, I'll try and get some nicer photos another time!

Anyhow, this is what I've been working on for the last week or so: a matching nautical mini skirt and crop top, made from this lovely heavy cotton that I've had for a while. I made the skirt a while back and it needed the hem redone lately, and while doing so I spotted the leftover fabric and thought I'd give this a go. I've never made a crop top before and I used the bodice pattern from New Look Dress Pattern 6002, Bodice A. I found it really easy to follow, although the size 10 fit must be assuming all size 10's have 32F boobs with the amount of fabric I had to take in! (Click through for more photos and detail) 




Awkward posing yep I do apologise

I followed the pattern exactly and once made, adjusted the shoulder straps to be shorter and brought in the side seams a little. I also skipped the zipper insertion and hand-sewed some teeny tiny buttonholes to close it instead. Zips kind of scare me a bit still, so i'm holding off on any more until I can find a zipper foot for my old machine. I added some navy blue stretch lace to the bottom of the hem as well, just to add a little bit more length onto the top and make it all look that bit more finished. 

Tiny buttons going from clear to more and more opaque - I like the effect it has
I hemmed the top simply, going over the cut edges with a wide zig-zag stitch at first, then clipping and folding over and top-stitching it in place. Some bits were quite fiddly, especially since I had a bit of a disagreement with my sewing machine at once point. Turns out the needle needed changed, and a fair amount of dust needed blown out from under the face-plate. Good times. 

Close up of curved neckline hem 

All in all i'm quite happy with how this turned out! I think it'll be cute to wear in spring/summer with a longline cardigan and some little white or blue heels. If I did it again in another fabric I think I might try and pattern match it a little better, but I quite enjoy how randomly the anchors are scattered across the little stripes.


What do you think, does it look okay? Would you wear something like this, or is it not your kind of thing? Have you used this pattern before? Let me know below!