Search

Thursday, 27 February 2014

Frugal Spending March

As the year presses on and the end of February creeps closer, I've decided to set myself a little challenge with regards to my spending habits this March. My boyfriend and I are supporting ourselves through our final year of university and trying to save up as much money as possible to graduate and then move cities in the summer, so any amount of money saved really helps. With this in mind, I'm hoping to follow these rules I've created for myself as strictly as I possible can!

  • No spending money on public transport 


I live close enough to University and town that there's no excuse for ever getting the bus really, except for sheer laziness! My bank balance and leg muscles will thank me for this one. The exception to this one will be taxis home at night should I ever need them, because safety does still come first despite everything.

  • No buying snacks or food outside of the house


This is quite a bit expense for me really, whether it's pub dates with John or sandwiches on my 9-5 uni days, I end up spending quite a bit on food when there's plenty sitting at home waiting to be eaten. More packed lunches, home cooking, digging out my coffee flask and generally planning ahead more will help this one a lot I think.

  • No buying clothes, fabric, beauty items or makeup

This is a pretty big one, but surely I can manage for 31 days without buying new luxuries?! I have plenty of things waiting to be worn, sewn and used still, so this March i'm going to make the most of what I already have and find new ways to make use of it. Exceptions will be made only for necessary items like shampoo, toothpaste, etc, and also skincare items for myself because my skin does tend to break out a lot and painfully if I change my routine too much. 

  • No bargain hunting on Ebay

I am terrible for being sucked in by a low price and an 'ENDING SOON' warning, I have to admit, but it won't kill me to step away from the mouse-pad for just a month and resist the urge to nab bargains just because they're under £10. 

Of course aside from this plan, I will still have to spend some money next month, on things like energy bills, the house food shop, presents for friend's birthdays and my phone bill, but this should help me stick to a much stricter budget than I usually do, and hopefully benefit from that somewhat! 

I'd be really happy if any of my readers fancied doing this challenge alongside me, so if you are, please let me know in the comments and we can all struggle through together. Maybe there's something special you're saving up for, or maybe you just fancy the challenge of cutting back a little and watching what you buy for a while? I'll be using the hashtag #FrugalMarch to tweet my journey with this challenge if you want to join in or just follow along :) hope you're all well and having a great day. 

- Natalie XOX