Search

Friday, 7 February 2014

Fashion Tag Questions

After reading Mariel's recent blog post answering these Fashion questions where she tagged anybody reading, I decided to give this a go. This is the first time I've answered one of these and I feel like I should add a disclaimer: I don't know an awful lot about fashion. I love clothes and I love sewing and all of my knowledge comes from my own half-arsed sense of style and the odd flick through Cosmo. Okay, proceed at your own risk.

1. What is your favourite style to wear?

I'm not sure that day-to-day I really have a favourite 'style'. I dress for convenience largely, but I suppose overall I would describe my style as classy business-casual with a bit of vintage/homemade thrown in. My favourite style in general is probably 50's fashion - classy, clean cut, great prints and good waist highlighting.

2. Who is your fashion role model?

I do love a bit of Dita Von Teese, and that kind of traditional glamour with an unusual twist look. I also quite like Daisy Lowe, she does dressed down incredibly well while looking cooler than I ever possibly will.




3. What do you always have on?

A bobble around my wrist for when my hair gets too out of control, and my glasses - even when I have my contacts in they're in my bag or pocket just in case.

4. What are your favourite jeans?

I'm a big fan of New Look for affordable, good quality jeans. They have some great ranges to choose from and they work really well on petite girls. My favourite pair currently are actually from Internationale in the January sales, and are high waisted and khaki coloured. 

5. What influenced you to write about fashion?

I first became interested in sewing and dressmaking about two years ago, and really began to try harder at it about a year ago now. At first I was determined to keep my interests away from fashion trends, but the more I worked at it, the more I realised there was a lot to learn from fashion magazines and blogs. I get a lot of my inspiration from well-known designers and writing about fashion goes very nicely hand in hand with writing about my sewing and other crafts.

6. What is your favourite store?

New Look! I also really like boohoo.com and I spend a lot of time in charity/thrift shops. Basic essentials such as leggings, vest tops and PJs usually come from Primark.

7. Who is your favourite fashion person on YouTube?

YouTube? Hmm, I don't follow an awful lot of people on there, but I do like Zoella who I recently subscribed to, and also SprinkleOfGlitter.

8. What is your favourite fabric?

That's a hard one. I love to wear really good quality silk and satin fabrics, but I can't stand working with them. I like to sew with nice thin cotton in bright patterns and stiff linens in block colours, as well as a variety of wool blends.

9. Who is your favourite model?

I don't really have one I'm afraid! I suppose I quite like Kelly Brook, if she counts? And the Chanel models usually all look great, I love their bold yet classy makeup style. 




10. If you had $5,000 (c. €3,700) to spend on any one item, what would it be?

Can't I go on holiday instead?? If it really had to be on fashion related things then I think I would buy some Kurt Geiger platform heels, a Mulberry Willow Tote and a whole stack of Chanel and NARs makeup, then very likely give the rest of it to my fashion-savvy sister who would probably go wild. If it really had to be on ONE thing then I think I would find an up and coming designer to make me a unique couture dress for special occasions, because it would be really nice to have something that fits me 100% perfectly without having to make and/or alter it myself.

11. Heels or flats?

Heels! I'm flat-footed so wearing completely flat shoes usually leaves me with achy feet after a few hours. I love platform and wedge heels, although I can deal with anything except stilettos really.

12. What purse do you currently use?

At the moment I'm using a black, red and white satchel which was a Christmas gift. Previously it was a New Look black and beige tote bag. I'm currently on the search for a new bag actually, so this is kind of an interim haha.

13. What is your favourite fragrance?

DKNY's Be Delicious has been a firm favourite for a good few years now. I'm not a fan of flowery, sweet fragrances, so anything fresh and clean smelling scores big points with me. Saying that though, I do also like Marc Jacobs Daisy as it smells quite pure and not overwhelmingly sweet.



14. From a fashion perspective, what’s your favourite film?

Oooh again, difficult one. I'm going to assume I'm not allowed to say Kinky Boots? Well it's a cheesy choice, but I'm actually going to say Clueless. Perfectly captures the eclecticism of 90's fashion, elements of which seems to be sneaking back into upcoming trends lately. I also like The Devil Wears Prada for fairly obvious reasons, Grease for its iconic outfits that have solidly entered the public consciousness, and Legally Blonde, because if I am ever as fabulous as Elle Woods, my life will be complete. (Seriously though, Kinky Boots. Amazing film/stage show and Chiwetle Ejiofor has some seriously outstanding outfits in the movie.)






15. Is fashion in your blood or your jeans?

Maybe a little of both? There's not many in my family who pay much attention to fashion except my little sister, who already is miles more fashionable and knowledgeable about makeup than I am. My great-aunt Maureen was a seamstress and I inherited her sewing machine after she sadly passed away a few years back, so I like to think I picked up some of her traits along the way too. As I said though, it is quite a recent thing for me to be really interested in fashion, so it's definitely been a learning curve as well.

That was fun! I'd like to tag anyone who is reading this, so if you have a blog on any platform at all, please feel free to answer the questions :) Leave me a link to your post in the comments below once you have so I can check it out, I'd love to see some of your thoughts and opinions on these questions.

- Natalie XOX