Search

Thursday, 30 January 2014

Daily Makeup Routine

I'm hoping to lead this blog in a slightly broader direction this new year, so I'm going to start including the odd post on beauty products, whether that is a roundup of purchases, a review of a certain product or a discussion of different products and routines. Today I want to talk about the makeup that I tend to wear every day. As a student I don't always wear makeup of course - I find it hard enough to drag myself out of bed for 8am lectures in winter without being concerned about whether my eyeliner is straight! But generally, since I have pretty bad skin I do tend to wear at least something on my face most days, and that's what I'm going to talk about here.


It's pretty weird taking photos without my glasses... Dear god the eyebags! Anyways though, this is what I typically look like on a casual day. Exciting, I know. 

As you can see I'm quite pale and on top of that, i'm prone to cystic acne due to a heckload of hormonal issues, and I have scars on my cheeks and forehead. Put all of that together and shopping for foundation and concealer is enough to make me start tearing my hair out usually, as I'm sure you can imagine. At the moment I'm using Dainty Doll Concealer in 003 and Max Factor Facefinity 3 in 1 Foundation in Light Ivory 40, both shown below.


This foundation claims to be primer, concealer and foundation all in one, and although it does give pretty good coverage, I find I still need a concealer for under my eyes and any redder blemishes to get full coverage. It does cover my scars nicely though, matches my skin tone well and I rarely need to use a powder on top of it to stop shine, which I do like. When I do use a powder I like Boots Natural Collection Pressed Powder in Neutral, as it is kind to my sensitive skin and reduces shine really well for a very low price. Before this I used Dainty Doll Foundation in 002 which has sadly been discontinued, but i'm happy with Max Factor as a replacement. I tend to apply both foundation and concealer with my fingers as I find it blends better, so I don't own many brushes. 

When it comes to eye makeup I'm far less choosy. My general everyday mascara is Max Factor False Lash Effect in Black Brown, which is a really nice dark brown shade that doesn't clump very easily. When I'm dressing up or going out, I like Soap and Glory Thick & Fast Mascara in Black. This has a really big applicator and a dark, dramatic effect that is really good with heavy eye makeup. I fill in my eyebrows with a generic brown eyebrow pencil as my natural hair colour is quite light and they look pretty washed out otherwise, giving me a bit of an odd look. As for eyeliner I own quite a few black kohl pencils, mostly own-brand as I've never found a significant difference between cheap and more expensive ones if I'm honest. When I wear liquid eyeliner I use Superdrug's Collection 2000 Waterproof Fast Stroke Eyeliner in Black, which dries really quickly and is difficult to smudge, which is all I really ask for in an eyeliner.


Depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing I like to use a range of different lipsticks and glosses. Some of my favourites are Clinique Superbalm Moisturizing Gloss in Grapefruit 10, Balance Me Shine On Tinted Lip Salve in Sheer Raspberry, and Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker XL Extreme Plump in Pink Out Loud. The Soap and Glory in particular is very odd, it tingles and warms immediately and it lasts quite a while, and while it doesn't plump an awful lot it does make my lips quite smooth and nice looking. I wear lipsticks a bit less often, but I have recently gotten quite a collection together so I'm going to make another post about those. 


Here's some links to where all of these products can be bought in the UK. Personally I got most of them as gifts from family/friends and as free or reduced gifts in sales and things, and I rarely spend an awful lot on things very often. 
Hope you enjoyed this post! There'll be more early next week hopefully. What does your casual makeup routine consist of, if any at all? Let me know below! 

- Natalie XOX