Search

Saturday, 11 January 2014

Altered Dress

It's been quite a while, hasn't it! I've been super busy starting my third year at university, writing my dissertation and working on crafted Christmas gifts, so I've not had an awful amount of time to sew anything for myself. But things have briefly died down now, so I thought I'd write a little post about the latest sewing project I've undertaken. 

A while back my good friend Leigh-Anne bought a dress from an internet clothes store which unfortunately had a fault and ripped down one of the back seams. It wasn't a clean rip as the fabric frayed quite a bit, and there was no simple fixing it just by sewing the seam back together, and since the return time had come and gone she gifted it to me to see if I could do anything with it. Now it's not my usual style, but it was far too pretty a dress to just cut up for scraps, so I had a look and came up with this. 


As you can see, there wasn't an awful lot left of the back once I trimmed the fraying away, so I went for a completely bare back look with the fabric covered zip down the middle to break it up a little. 

I had this gorgeous vintage lace lying around from my last trip to the Scarborough Vintage Fair and I thought it would be perfect to frame the bare edges with.  

After some thought I also added in a simple undertop to cover the lower portion of back, just to allow for any high-waisted tights or big knickers showing through! 

I did consider making the dress sleeveless and into sort of a halter neck dress, but I just love the sleeve style. They fall just below the elbows and are notched so they just fit beautifully.  

Like I said, not my usual style but I think it's pretty anyway. I think i'll play around with it a bit more before deciding what to do with it. Thanks for reading and I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and new year! Here's to a very crafty 2014 ;) 

- Natalie xox